Job: Lead Systems Engineer
Type: Full Time Employee
Location: St. Paul, MN
The Lead Systems Engineer is responsible for driving implementation and supporting projects and activities for our client’s infrastructure platforms. The Lead Systems Engineer provides work direction and mentoring for other Systems Engineering team members and collaborates with technology architects, operations staff, and business leads to ensure implementation and support of strategic solutions for the enterprise. The areas of focus for this role include all aspects of Infrastructure, including implementation, process development, and technology integration. This role also drives the development of policies and procedures that are consistent with company goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements.
- Accountable for the installation and configuration of system devices and corresponding software, including working with application, server and database engineers to implement Enterprise architectures and systems that utilize industry best practices.
- Accountable for developing standards and processes for system management. This includes leading the effort to implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery to ensure effective protection and integrity of infrastructure technologies and platforms.
- Drives tasks necessary to fulfill service level agreements with end-users regarding system allocations, performance, limitations, security, and availability.
- Works with the Senior Systems Engineer(s) to incorporate changes to the standard change control, incident response, and testing processes. This also includes: anticipating, mitigating, identifying, responding to, and resolving issues with infrastructure devices.
- Accountable for the monitoring, analyzing, and predicting trends for system equipment performance, space allocation, and data growth to recommend enhancements to the IS storage team. Also, reviews and verifies server/database transaction and security audits leading to identification and mitigation of security threats to enterprise data. Drives recommendations and implements changes where necessary.
- Clearly communicates at all levels of the organization; drives the development of system procedures, data storage retention policies and routines for end-users to facilitate best practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Sciences, Mathematics, Engineering, Business, or area of functional responsibility preferred, or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- 8-10 years of working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring, and supporting servers and management software.
- Expert understanding of architecture design techniques, theories, principles, and practices.
- Previous leadership in infrastructure architecture design initiatives.
- Ability to effectively prioritize, delegate and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language to all levels of management and staff.
- Extensive knowledge and proven experience with Windows, Windows Servers, IIS, SCCM, SCOM, VMware vSphere.
- Extensive knowledge and proven experience with Microsoft Directory Services supporting multiple domains and forest, ADFS, IDM, Multifactor Authentication, DNS, DHCP and WINs.
- Understanding/experience with Cloud Platforms such as Azure or AWS.
- Drive efficiencies through automation.
- Designing and implementing High Availability and Disaster Recovery solutions.
- Manage Datacenter process, compliance/regulation tasks and vendor relationships for major datacenter facilities globally.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Deep knowledge of hardware platforms primarily Cisco UCS infrastructure.
- Education in one or all areas: MCSA/MCSE, ITIL Foundations, VMWare VCP certification.